Sunday, December 1, 2013

'Life is an Adventure' Interview With Ralph Higgins


"I've lived an interesting life, but when the dust settles, it's good to have interests that carry over into the retirement years, offering rewards on a deeper level."
"Music and writing have been hobbies during my years with business projects, but now that I have the time, these interests have become more prominent, offering a different form of fulfillment."
"Gayle and I  share some of our work with you."
 Ralph Higgins



1    Family background ? 

My name is Ralph Higgins.  I was born in Chicago, Illinois, in 1939.  Our family moved to California in about 1942, when we settled in San Jose, California, which is now the heart of Silicon Valley.  This was long before computers, so San Jose looked much different then than now.

My father was a printer and my mother stayed at home to raise my younger brother, Tom, and me.  During WW II both of my parents worked in the defense industry.  My dad worked on planes at Moffett Field, while my mother worked in a factory while my brother and I were in school.

2-   What was your career ?  

I didn't really have a career.  I guess you could say that my career was exploring new ideas and trying a variety of businesses.  I've owned many businesses.   I've also taught high school, written books, written songs, and played music professionally in symphony orchestras and small musical groups.  

Some of the businesses I've owned were publishing companies, a limo/courier business, playground equipment manufacturing, a gas station, minimart, carwash operation, which I sold to Rajinder Singh.  I've also owned other small businesses through the years.

My main love and my hobby has always been music, followed by writing.
3-   How did you become an author?

While teaching high school, I co-authored a music textbook that became an international best seller, mostly used in high schools and colleges.  This led to more writing projects in the field of music.  I left teaching to work for major publishers as a music arranger and writer.  

I've always kept up on my music and writing. My writing began to move beyond music into articles, biographies, and a novel.  Much of this work was done while I was working as a business owner.

4-  How many of your books have been published?

While working for major music publishers, I authored or co-authored approximately 60 books.  I've written and published other books outside of the music field.  I've also written for a national internet company, wrote a weekly newspaper column, and currently help other authors.  I have a weekly blog at www.higginsunhinged.blogspot.com .

5-    Have you written poetry ?

I've never written poetry, however I have written many songs with poetic lyrics.  I think that writing and music come from inside.  They are a form of expression that comes from the heart. Some people have more talent than others in those areas.  Art is another form of expression.  My wife is a professional artist with much talent.  That means that our home is full of art, music, and writing projects.
6-  Are you satisfied with your life  ?

There are always things in a person's life that he or she would change if they could live their lives over.  I think that many times you learn more from your failures than your successes.  I've had a few successes and many failures, but I've lived an interesting life of adventure and exploration.

I am currently working on three books for other authors or “soon to be” authors.  I am now retired, so I have more time to spend on writing, which I enjoy very much. I have a website at www.ralphhiggins.com and a weekly blog at www.higginsunhinged.blogspot.com .  Writing a weekly post gives me the chance to speak on a number of topics.  Some topics are just for fun, while others are more serious.

We are now in the age of technology with the internet that gives writers exposure to the entire world.  I think this is a powerful tool that can be used for good or for bad.  I hope that it works more for good than bad.


7-   Do you think that literature can play significant role to peace of world?

  Regarding the world situation, I believe in freedom.  I think there are forces on our planet that hate America because we believe in freedom. I think that writers can help by supporting the concept of individual freedom and opposing those who would subject people to a tyrannical government.  In a democracy, many people use their freedom to vote for less freedom.  

Writers can inspire people to think.  It can also encourage people to speak out or write what they believe.  But encouraging people to think is an important role for writers of prose and poetry.

8 -    What  did your wife do before she retired?   

I'll let my wife, Gayle Cross Higgins tell you in her own words:
             
"I was fortunate to spend most of my working life as a designer and graphic artist. Though the projects were creative, they didn't allow enough time for fine art.

"In retirement, I now have the time to enjoy painting. Horses have been my favorite subject, but I enjoy making portraits of beloved pets of all kinds.

"People have become a favorite too. I guess you can say that I enjoy being commissioned for any artistic project."


















                                                     Gayle Cross Higgins
"I was fortunate to spend most of my working life as a designer and graphic artist. Though the projects were creative, they didn't allow enough time for fine art." 
"In retirement, I now have the time to enjoy painting. Horses have been my favorite subject, but I enjoy making portraits of beloved pets of all kinds."
People have become a favorite too. I guess you can say that I enjoy being commissioned for any artistic project."
Gayle Cross Higgins









No comments:

Post a Comment