Friday, May 29, 2015

THROUGH EUROPEAN EYES... INDIA..--Ewa Simebida



Finally! After few years of waiting for the perfect moment I have made the present moment the perfect one and within one week I have arranged two weeks off of work, bought tickets and applied for a visa. My dream became a reality and my soul couldn't stop laughing, singing and dancing. Since the very first moment about 2 months earlier, when I have made my decision about going to India ASAP I felt enormous joy and happiness flowing from my soul. Nothing could make me upset. Either, nothing was going to stop me! The whole universe supported me and I was going to India!
Except tickets and visa, nothing was planned. I was actually specifically told not to dare to plan anything as India supposes to be discovered with your own eyes as real life
experience. So I took my dear friend Sandeep's advice to heart and gave up planning for pure joy of being here and now.
 My adventure firstly led me to Mumbai airport, which is huge and beautiful in such Indian way of course. There are beautiful carpets covering almost every centimetre of all floors, maybe except toilets... I felt a bit lost though, as the organisation of going through is completely different than I have experienced in European countries. Besides, immigration formalities aren't something I meet very often. Every one entering India is
asked to fill an immigration form, but there is absolutely nowhere to get a pen from. For a short while I have even started thinking I am not going to make it through, just only because of that. Fortunately for lost foreigners, before they face immigration, they have a chance to meet some nice people behind little desks, who can give a helping hand or to rob a pen from ;)
That was my first moment when I had experienced typical Indian way of sharing things with others. The man had only one pen for himself so we used it in turns, until I gave up and he simply
filled my form for me. I am not a newbie with Indians but that was officially my first experience in India; showing me once again, how familiar they feel with everyone around.
First test passed! I need to remember though, to always keep a pen on me to make the magic happen.
Different order of organisation wasn't the thing which surprised me most. I was really confused when I reached to the end of airport, and there were still no welcomers of coming guests. No one either was using the only cafe near the exit door. Everything seemed to be empty and quiet. 'What a heck was going on?'  I thought. Now, after the entire journey I understand, it is this friendly climate that let people to wait out of the airport as much as some security reasons. It is easier to keep all of those people out, with no need to check and scan them all. After all, they are coming only for a short while, to collect their friends or family.
So, you should know, that best things are waiting for you right behind the last exit door... bunch of people expecting their loved ones as well as few nice cafes to rest, relax and eat after long journey. I was very lucky one having a local girl, Bini, waiting for me. As a typical Indian woman she took a control over the situation within one second. Instantly, I felt like a 5 year old baby girl with her mummy. But honestly saying, it was extremely sweet and also much appreciated. I was happy and grateful for having my first moments in India so easy going.
My Mumbai visit has been limited to very quick trip from the airport to restaurant. The world outside the rickshaw was loud, crowded, busy, warm and full of sun light. After so many years living in Ireland, country of rain and wind, I felt ecstatic to feel such warmth and light everywhere on me; in my eyes, face and whole body. I could easily relate to cats, enjoying lazy moments laying in full sun... it could be called a heaven.
On the same evening we have reached Pune. I say, comparing it to Bangalore, Pune is looking very Indian way. The city is full of people, scooters, rickshaws and little shops overloaded with typical Indian clothes, food, home equipment, souvenirs and everything else you could only imaging.
And there are no photos or words that could fully explain what India is like. Whatever some say, there is no better way to discover India than by going there yourself. India is not only about exotic pictures or exotic and amazing food, which you could capture with camera. It is also about specific sounds and noises.
Whether it is Pune, Bangalore or Goa, it is always busy, noisy, and full of people and their loud voices. Shops are being closed quite late. Some work even till 10 or 11pm. It is actually understandable why they work that way. The climate and heat in the middle of the day can make you feel sleepy and tired and keeps you away from staying outside. Though, even late in the evening you could easily go out and enjoy your shopping, walking or friends meeting.
Horns are being used here as a conversational tool. After some time in India you can start noticing the difference in types of horn sounds. You easily know then, what they say. It is either; hey man, get away; or simply  so just you know, I have a vehicle and I am not afraid to use it. And yes, for us Westerns it is shocking that everyone is driving however is pleased, and still everyone is alive. Well, yes, though they drive so freely, still no one goes with very high speed. Rickshaws or scooters can't reach high speed anyway, and they are the most common travelling vehicles.
For those from Ireland, I say, India is only a bit wilder. I am only a newbie on Irish roads, but already have learnt to be careful because you never know what drives around, you are going to come up with. Lots of L-learners and N-newbies force others to be more conscious.
One day in Pune I was learning to cross the street and I felt like a mini human-vehicle, only with no lights and indicators, but hey... what I am talking about?! No one uses indicators here anyway. Besides you don't need any if you are white skinned. It is a trick itself. Everyone stops anyway, and it makes you feel a bit like a holy cow crossing zebra.
It is worth to mention that there are so many things being used here as vehicles. You never know what else Indians will show up with. With such heavy traffic here, you could think there is so much extra attention needed to be able to drive safely. Maybe even you would wish to have eyes around your head... but no... Indians manage by overusing the horns. As I mentioned before, it is kind of road language, not only for humans but for all the animals walking on streets in smaller cities, too.
When it comes to people here, I have to admit it; Irish over talkativeness is just a piece of cake comparing to Indians. Especially when they meet the opportunity to share some thoughts with the outsider, they are definitely going to use it! No doubt about it! Oh, yes, and some of them are too shy to speak up, but then they stare passionately with big curious eyes, hoping you speak up first. I can tell now, they have no idea that staring might be considered awkward to someone. Curiosity is a part of human nature, and they as the population has been cut off of the rest of the world. So, now when they meet a foreigner they stop doing whatever they were doing in order to initiate a contact with one.  In their nature is to talk a lot and they love doing it; asking thousands of questions, to find out new things about you and your country. Often they are asking things which we Europeans would consider very personal ones.  After getting few minutes of your attention they show some satisfaction and contentment.
The food? OMG! There are no words to describe homemade Indian food. Whatever I have had tried Indian like in here, in Ireland, it was nothing comparing to what I have eaten in India. Natives are really blessed by nature! Everything there grows full of sun energy and light, giving them extremely fresh, tasty and deeply flavoured fruits and vegetables. No picture can transfer this wonder of nature. For my taste buds India became a heaven. My very first papaya in India was something I am going to remember for very long. It was soft, juicy, sweet miracle. And first time I could discover that actually it has some strawberry taste in it, too.
India is about colours so much as well. Not only Mother Nature takes a good care of this place by making such beautiful flowers, trees, palm trees, bushes etc. But intense sun energy makes people and their personalities quite intense, too. Nurturing sun energy makes natives making intense food, music and everything they do, including wearing bright, bold, intense clothes and jewellery. You will not find so beautiful and rich dresses and saris anywhere in the world and every woman knows that. Even Indian men like to wear colours on them, which is quiet unusual in western world.
Yes, I have noticed so called slums, and yes it doesn't look good in sense that makes your heart down. Though all I can do is giving little temporary help to someone and also to be grateful to the nature for not making those people suffer from winters and cold, we do experience in other parts of the globe. Honestly saying, what I think is that such a delicate weather is one of the reasons that people built slums. I know it might be shocking what I am saying, but the truth is, that such a thing wouldn't be able to exist in European countries only because the climate itself. In winter people would not only suffer from cold but simply they would freeze to death, which by the way, happens during winters. For this reason, our countries have to give some social help for those homeless and provide them some warm shelter.
Other new thing was dogs and all kind of animals walking everywhere around. All dogs seem to look same and they sleep wherever they want; very often gathered together. They seem to be very calm and easy going. No, they are not over weighted as European ones but also they don't look very much starved at all. There are many cows everywhere, too, especially in smaller cities or villages. Honestly saying I liked that a lot. I love animals and like their presence around me. Of course I was raised in European culture, where animals are part of the family and every single being is having own rights. We used to cuddle them, hug them and talk to them like to little kids, so I do that automatically every time I meet any animal. But I also have been taught how to read animals behave and how to respect their feelings. If they are angry or scared, it is obviously better to leave them alone. And I had a good example while trying to get a picture with one of the cows. She wasn't having happy moments though and I easily could feel her fear, she expressed that by pushing me away gently, so I walked away, but my Indian friend probably didn't believe that European girl might know much about animals and he tried to come close to her anyway, but guess what... she didn't let him come either. We had to respect her wish and let her alone. Maybe she thought she is not looking good enough for pictures...
In Pune I used to stay at a good and posh place where breakfast was included into the price. Every morning we had variety of meals we could choose from. Except the main counter filled with few hot meals, they had also little counter with chopped fresh vegetables like cucumber, tomatoes, leaves of salad etc; little counter with different kind of breads and rolls; another one with nuts and dry fruits; and also one with some chutneys / gravies and other adds-on. Every day I usually was giving a try to something else but sometimes I couldn't stop myself eating same things repeatedly. As I have been told we were eating many typical regional meals and snacks, and have to admit after travelling into few different places, that Marathi and Punjabi food style suits me most so far. After all this excessive experience with Indian food I am sure of one thing... if you are coming to India, you have to forget about dieting. That's a must!
At my first breakfast in India I was absolutely melting and purring over everything I had a chance to try. I loved it so much that I forgot taking photos for my friends from all over the world. I selfishly enjoyed every little bite. Honestly saying I felt that way almost over every meal I was eating during this holiday.
My first walk around the neighbourhood was very exciting. At the same time I felt like home but also I knew in my mind that practically I am here first time ever in this life time. I was completely relaxed; looking around, enjoying the light of sun, listen to the daily noises on streets, watching people and their behaving. Well Ok, I have to confess that I felt relaxed because I was sure I cannot be lost for one very simple reason... I had my GPS navigator with me, so everything was under control. While coming back home I met few souvenir shops and stepped in, where I actually had little chat with the owner. Could you believe it? I was actually chatting and joking and laughing with the stranger... that must be an Indian miracle... and surprisingly I really enjoyed this! And then I went to the other one for more chatting... 'What's wrong was happening to me?  I laughed at myself' India was messing with me.
The weather? I visited India at the end of February and begin of March. In Pune and Goa we probably had about 30 degrees, however deeper on the south in Puducherry and Auroville it was more around 35. Amazing thing was the possibility to go out for a walk wearing short sleeve even at 10pm. In Ireland, for example, you always should carry a sweater, jacket, rain coat or umbrella with you. It became so natural to me that when was wearing no heavy things on my shoulders, I felt really strange and had this stupid feeling like I forgot something. As I've been told it was warmer than normally at this time of the year. I guess weather changes hit India, too.
I have never before realized how huge India is, until we had to travel from one place to another. For instance travelling by bus from Pune to Goa takes around 12 hours. For comparison, in Poland in 12 hours I could go from the sea to the mountains; which is exactly from one border of the country to the opposite one. It seems a huge distance in my home country. In India though, it is only a very little piece of it. To make sure you don't lose too much precious time, choosing travelling during the night, might be the most comfortable, easy and practical way. If you are lucky enough and you have never ending source of money, it would be even wiser to use an air way. In such a huge country many times selecting an airplane is not only a matter of a free choice but often becomes a necessity.
In Goa we have stayed for few busy, amazing days. First we visited Mapusa and Vagator to live in a tree house for a day; in quite simple and harsh conditions. Certainly, it was something I don't experience every day, but I would lie if I say I have never experienced this kind of life at all. When we were kids, every summer at my grandpa's was quite a challenge. This way I have learnt how to manage living in very natural way. The only difference was the climate, which is very supportive in India for this kind of adventures.
Though I enjoyed on-tree-living, I was happy for staying in a normal apartment for a while. We also had a chance to dry out our clothes after last night rain. We enjoyed the company of the most sweet and lovable couple, Alexander and Luda, who originally come from Ukraine and came to Goa for some awesome Ayurveda studies.
During those days we had travelled around Goa everywhere. First we visited Spices Plantation and then day by day we were enjoying our time on different beaches. Starting at Vagator beach, going through Chapora beach, Morjim beach, Anjuna beach and ending at Calangute beach. Every day something new and exciting; walking, talking, driving on scooter around, which was quite fun; taking pictures with strangers, doing yoga, getting massage, enjoying parachute ride and heavy Indian rain; enjoying jet ski in sun, playing with beautiful and strong sea waves etc. Everything was good, exciting and interesting. The sun had no mercy on us, and very quickly I shifted into a snake, loosing freshly burned skin. Sandy only became more chocolate, lucky man!
In Goa we have found one absolutely amazing and the best place to have dinner at. It is called Bending Bamboos. Everything there was so fresh and crispy and Indian bread so soft and tasty like home made. Not even mention the toilets! One of the best I saw in this kind of place in India. And some of you understand very well, what I am talking about. If you guys are going to Goa, you definitely have to visit that lovely place.
As I mentioned before while exploring coast of Goa we have spent some time on spice plantation. Right before you have even chance to enter the plantation, you can meet elephants, face to face, if you climb high enough.
Days in Goa passed away very quickly and we got ready to head for our next destination  Bangalore.
I had only about 8 days of holiday left and the distance from Goa to Auroville, where we were going to, is pretty much impressive. To make it easier and quicker we decided to fly a bit.
Bangalore was our next stop and we allowed ourselves to enjoy a lot in this place. We enjoyed like real celebrities. We stayed at the best place which is Oakwood Premier Prestige Bangalore, and we had best dinners at best restaurants. Singkong, quickly became the favourite one. Not only because of great watermelon juice or food which by the way was absolutely amazing! But also because of ... well... free Wi-Fi... and we all know that addictions need to be taken care of...
We also enjoyed a lot spending money in local shops; travelling in rickshaws here and there, from one shop for tourists to another... oh pardon, we visited one park on the way, too...
Last day in Bangalore was pretty much lazy, nothing left to do, so we walked around and discovered normal shops with normal prices... what a surprise...  and a very good lesson for the future!
I liked Bangalore very much. It is much more western type of big city. It gives you the feeling of freedom and space. It also has everything in it you need, want or wish for. It is famous for Sandalwood products; from sandalwood carvings to perfumes.
After Bangalore it was time to go further to the east, to Puducherry. We travelled by bus and of course during the night time. However, this time the bus was very comfy and we easily slept during the whole journey.
We have arrived very early in the morning. To wake up quicker, we arranged for ourselves a hunting of the bus by rickshaw... the goal was to get back lost battery bank which at the end turned out not being lost at all! Anyway it was fun to race in the dark, on empty streets...
For me the climate of this place was very different. Starting with the light of sun which was so bright that I couldn't survive without sun glasses at all, otherwise it was dazzling my sensitive eyes; almost causing some pain.
The air was heavy and very humid; leaving you feeling like freshly showered all day long. However after one or two days, you could get use to it. Sun was much stronger than in Goa. I could feel like it's burning my skin within minutes. So, this time I didn't give it a change and used to cover my arms and face. By the way, that was the moment in which I discovered that shawls are very practical and easy to use.
We came to Pondicherry to be close to Auroville, where we used to travel by scooter. However we have spent most of our time in Auroville we also have found some time to walk a little bit around our place in Puducherry.
We also couldn't forget to enjoy superb dinner in one of the restaurants over the sea; where eventually I got my ice creams with dark chocolate We were getting close to an end of this amazing Indian adventure.
We went all this way, and we have enjoyed so many places, to eventually end up in this wonderful dreamy city, Auroville. It was made for so called spiritual people, who are aware of their connection to everything and everyone; for people who care for the planet and for all beings on it; for people who want to live in harmonious and balanced way.
Auroville is full of light, trees and heat. People are coming here from all over the world to stay at least for a while. But remember! It is also available to stay permanently here. They have shops, restaurants, schools and many more. They produce their own fruit and vegetables. In so called fast food cafes they do very healthy and natural snacks, sandwiches, cakes, drinks etc. Huge choice not only for vegetarians but vegans, too! Everything is served on or in natural clay plates or cups. In local shops you can get handmade dishes, clothes, jewellery, cosmetics... everything!
In the middle of the city, there is standing golden sphere, where people can meditate to restore their connection with themselves and with the universe. Everyone wants to try it, so in the busiest season you have to wait for 2-3 days for your turn.
What I loved most, was the soil, intensively copper in colour. I couldn't take my eyes off it. It is the same pleasure when you look at the fire, and you know what you gonna see, but still it's kind of magnetic and you just can't stop yourself staring at it. It feels like you absorb the energy of it with every cell and every breath.
Of course we didn't forget to enjoy their food, too. We enjoyed only few different places actually! It was all good and tasty, but personally I loved mostly this little fast food cafe. They had wonderful snacks, giving me some extra ideas how to eat vegan and make it more fun. I could run such a thing myself! It must be fun!
 The climate? Heavy, hot and humid. First day was a bit disturbing to me, but next day felt much better.
After Auroville, we came back to Pune one more time, to spend last few hours resting and relaxing at the hotel pool. Two weeks in India were just about to become a memory. Some might say, too short to bother, but it was worth it. And I have had wonderful time, mostly thanks to my friend Sandeep Dhole, who did his best to make me feel at home in India. And I did. Thank you so much for all your time and care. I also thank your friends, Mady and Tejas, who wanted to spend some time with me, and who showed me so much care as well. I really felt like a part of your loving family. You are amazing guys and wish you all the best.
The very last moments in India I have spent in Mumbai Airport, hoping to come back to this amazing land some time in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment